Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Woman's Day - a tribute to the best cooks in the world

This post is part of the Chennai Bloggers Club which is celebrating a week long "marathon" in the honor of womanhood.

Over the past few months, there has been a huge hue and cry all over the media (social and mainstream) against the brutal assault on an innocent girl in our capital. Suddenly India seems to have awaken to this call and people are making loud comments concerning women. Several bloggers I interacted with during those times made some really bold talk about this and sadly some even went on to call men certain names. Well, all this vehemence is truly understandable, and being a guy it is difficult for many of us to actually empathize with their plight.But I am not going to speak about that in this post. In fact, I am going to talk of something that many of us see daily, but really do not fail to appreciate.

When I moved abroad, I thought it would be fairly easy to find food, considering its Singapore. But no, finding real "food" in Singapore is somewhat difficult. By real, I don't mean the scores of Indian restaurants around Little India. What I mean is authentic Tam-Brahm food. Something only each one of our mothers' can make. Well, that's really when I realized the value of the food my mother makes.

I cook my own food, but there are two problems to it. One being that no matter how well I do it, it certainly never matches what my mother makes. Secondly, it sure is an ordeal to actually make all pre-cooking preparations, something that is time consuming. More than that, the choices being limited, sometimes one tends to get crazy. I mean, how many veggies can you put in a sambhar?

But our mothers never seem to run out of choice. Each day, even before you think of getting your lazy arse out of bed, there she is, toiling in the kitchen to prepare your lunch before you rush off to work. Sometimes with working mothers, this rises their work scope all the more, for they have to prepare food for the entire family before she can actually get dressed to work.

Yet, beyond all this, I can sense certain things with the food a mother makes. One, it sure does have a "secret" ingredient (which most people would term love, but I beg to differ), that only a mother knows. Second, she never seems to tire out, or atleast pretends not to. Why? Just so you are well fed. Thirdly, she seems genuinely happy about it.

Many of us would actually observe this daily, but never really realize how much a mother does, just to make you happy. In the honor of all mothers who just feed their kids well, here's wishing you a Happy Woman's Day. Thank you for being there for us each day. You certainly know the way to a man's heart.

-Prashanth Ashok

21 comments:

  1. Good one Prashanth. The True feeling of every man,beautifully picturised !!Great buddy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Deepak :) Yep, indeed the true feeling of every man

      Delete
  2. nice post... yes mothers are truly the best arent they? nowadays my husband has replaced her. he cooks for me the same way you describe here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) Well, yeah men have taken up this as well, yet its always the mother's food that wins

      Delete
  3. A wonderful article prazii....you have portrayed a Tambram (even though we might eat chicken still) struggle for proper food outside India....!!!

    No one can replace Mom's cooking ever :) amma is always amma the best amma ever...!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there's something that's always overlooked and given least importance, then it's the kitchen work done by a woman. When at home, I took it for granted that I would always find food on the table whenever I wanted the same. Now, when I have my own kitchen and struggle to cook up (literally) recipes and plan menus, I find it so exasperating and boring. I do like cooking but day after day dishing out menus and food is WORK man. Sometimes I wish that I was always a student living in my mother's house and always found food on the table at meal-times. I wonder how my mother did it - cooking inspite of coming back tired from work, feeling a bit sick and having no mood to prepare anything.

    This is a very spot-on post, I say.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan :) I sure can relate to what you mean. Beyond a stage, it gets boring !

      Delete
  5. I love you, bro, for this. Cooking is a beautiful and difficult art. We never realize the effort our mommies take, until we are in a situation where we need to cook all by ourselves.

    I repeat, I totally love you for celebrating women and their kitchen through this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely read Prashanth! I could relate with the post..yes, I love to cook, never tire out and always happy to see friends & family enjoy what I cook. Oh...and one of my secret ingredients in all my recipes is 'love'. May be I belong to the old school of motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sanjeeta :) Well, yours is surely one awesome secret ingredient. We all had a taste of it during the meet :)

      Delete
  7. This post is sure win machan! I'm sure auntie will cook up something special when she reads this ;) Pliss to parcel one packet :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is sure win machan! I'm sure auntie will cook something amazing when she reads this :D Pliss to parcel one packet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep telling mom and gramma "i cant do it like you do, not on a daily basis.. am just not cut out for it". Even though i love and enjoy cooking, i am not the traditional "make sambar rasam koootu rice type", i would love to experiment and make something different, but the family needs comfort food.. :)

    nice post btw :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. My favourite food is paruppu saadham & potato fry by mum. Bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clement :) Paruppu sadham and potato fry - man, now you've gotten me craving for that

      Delete