Monday, February 25, 2013

Chapter 10 : When fate wears a leather jacket

This is a chain love story as a part of CBC (Chennai Bloggers Club) chain story relay. 17 bloggers get to write a chapter each starting from 4th feb with the climax culminating on 20th March 2013. Thanks Vidhyasankar for introducing me in your post here. All the previous posts can be found here. Now, on to what I must do.


I was totally confused. My mind was in a complete disarray. The last few weeks had been much more than a roller coaster ride. 

Five weeks back
"Yes. Yes, of course I will marry you Guru" - I regretted saying this, the moment it came out. Saying yes was an impulse reaction. But what was said was said. I was stuck with Guru for eternity. Or wait, was I? Surely Guru wasn't the kind of person who would carry too much emotional baggage, if I tried to explain to him. But again, how can I be so sure. Making a mental note to talk to him later and explain my predicament, I hugged him tight. I was engaged.

As a to-be-married couple, Guru and I spent every waking moment possible together. He took care of my every single need. He had already started making wedding plans, even to the extent of which mantap in Chennai to book and who should play the fusion music. Well, that was my idea originally. Sometime back, I mentioned in passing that I would want a fusion music band at my wedding reception. Now, it was coming back to bite me. Guru behaved like an uncontrollable child. He came up with the most weird ideas at times, just to cheer me up. Try as I could, something disturbed me terribly. Perhaps it was the impending talk. "The Talk", to break off this engagement. Oh, but look at the beautiful engagement ring he had given. 

Gosh, Guru seems so perfect. Why am I not able to give something back to him? Is it because I love him too and want to get married. No, that can't be the case. Of course, I had said yes in a split second. But that is proving to be quite a bad idea. Well, bad is an understatement. God, please. Please give me the courage to talk to him. 

"Guru listen. I need to talk to you about something".

"Sure, my love. Tell me. Hey, you know what we should do? For the reception, instead of the typical us standing on stage and people come up with presents, why not have round tables so that you and I could walk around, meeting people. Doesn’t it sound cool?" - Guru was unstoppable.

"Hmm, that won't work Guru. But forget that. I really need to talk to you. I think….. I think I am not ready".

"Ready for what? The round table thing?" - he winked

"No Guru. You know that. I mean I am not ready for the wedding".

I could sense him turning a bit surprised. But not showing his reaction, he continued. "Of course Ahalya, you are not ready. No one is. But it just happens. Don't worry, I am here for you".

Perhaps I should bring it up another time. After all, we still had a lot of time. Or so I thought.
Three weeks back
I met him again at the museum. Rather, I was going down in the elevator, when a man entered at the third floor. As the lift started again, there was a sudden jerk and the lift stopped. "Damn", I muttered to myself. That's when I realized that the gentleman in the lift was none other than Varun. Her Varun. The Varun who was hers; until the day it all ended. It had been more than a year since we broke off, me having moved to Europe and having settled down. It was more of a shock, a sense of uneasiness to have him there, let alone be stuck in the elevator. As we got to arguing, Varun claims I was affected by some shitty Stockholm Syndrome. Cadswallup. What did he think he knew? Was he some goddamn God of Love? Idiot.
Finally the lift took off and we reached the ground floor. Varun walked out of the lift ahead of me, fiddling with his phone as he went. I went after him.

"Look Varun, I am engaged. That means, I have a fiancé who loves me more than anyone. One who respects me, understands me. I am happy with him. So…."

"Hey look, I respect that. I would never do anything to harm you in anyway. You ought to know that well" - Varun responded.

"That's not what I mean. I mean … you know … " - I  couldn't complete what I had to say. Somehow it proved to be hard. But why? Was it because I really did suffer from that syndrome? 

"I know what you mean Ahalya. I am happy for you. I really am. I had my chance and I blew it up. It was my mistake after all. But you really must know why. I think I do owe you the truth" - Varun said.

"The truth? What truth is that? I thought the reason why we broke up was very obvious" - I started to get impatient.

"Well yes, in a sense. But there's more. Now is not the time. Perhaps we could go to a coffee shop?" - he asked me.

"Look Varun, I already told you I am engaged. I don’t think us going out would be very appropriate".

"Hey hey, cool. I am not asking you out. It's just that I am craving for a coffee. Or atleast a caramel hot 
chocolate. I see a Starbucks there. Reckon we go there?" - Varun asked.

"No Varun, sorry. Atleast, not today. I am meeting my fiancé in a while and I really must rush".

"Of course. I understand. Well, if you are free Wednesday evening, lets try to make it for dinner. What say?" - he did not bother to stop.

"Uhmm, well ok. But just dinner. Just food. Nothing more, nothing less. Deal?" - I extended my hand.

"Deal" - he shook my hands.

Today
"You should try their Ischoklad. It is really good" - Varun said.

"Isch what?" - I raised an eyebrow.

"Ischoklad. Its coconut oil mixed with chocolate"

"Eww, oil and chocolate? That's like … oil and chocolate. Pah, I don’t want"

"No Ahalya, you really should. It is really good" - Varun piped.

"Alright then. I will have it. Hey Varun listen, I must have mentioned this earlier. But I think my fiancé might 
join us later, for dessert" - I said.
"Oh is it? Well, I must meet this man who has changed you so well. Would love to meet the two of you" - 

That's when the phone rings.

"Hey honey, I am just walking towards the café. I should be there in about 3mins" - Guru spoke over the phone and cut the call.

"See, that was my fiancé. He is so considerate. He did not make any false promises. That's huge eh? 
Anyway look, let's forget all this. You wanted to talk right? Please go ahead"

"Well, you see Ahalya. The thing is…. I uhmm… well, I think I must not …. " before he could complete what he had to stay, he jumped out of his chair and waved over my head shouting "Guru, over here man" - with a huge smile on his face.

"You must meet this guy Ahalya. He is my colleague and good friend. Guru. Look, there he is" - Varun explained, still waving his hand. I turned around to see, and that's when it happened.

This post will be continued by Sowmya Swaminathan, a Commerce undergrad who blogs here. Good luck Sowmya 

9 comments:

  1. soooper :) semma continuity...happy to see the format being retained...and even more eager to c hw sowmya takes it forward :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks thala :) Yep, lets see how Sowmya goes from here

      Delete
  2. Excellent continuity and choice of words. Can't wait for the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many flashbacks and flashbacks! Now this is gaining momentum.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. woo... wen did they get engaged???? poor varun.. he seesm to be a nice guy still in love with ahalya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last few lines are so thrilling! Watte :D :D

    ReplyDelete