Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Let the games begin

Disclaimer : A phone call I received a few minutes back prompted me to come up with this post. It is a desperate attempt and a sincere request to people to read this - "Don't follow the herd; follow your heart"

It is that time of the year when there's utter chaos everywhere. Class 12 results are out; there's a mad rush among parents. Students are a confused lot - whether to crib over their poor performance, or come to terms with the fact 'you reap what you sow'. Well, atleast that was the case with me. I came to terms with it rather easily.

More often than not, students are indeed forced into engineering. Damn the IT companies, I would say ! Every single year, I hear of atleast a dozen students say engineering was forced upon them. I ask parents only one question - why?

In my own case, I never wanted to be an engineer in the first place. But I wasn't left with much choice. Given that choice, perhaps the world would have got an excellent journo - who knows? Well, I am an old timer now, so chuck me.

Ten minutes back, I receive a call from my old man's friend. His daughter, who has completed her 12th has secured somewhere around 80%. He came straight to the point - which engineering college in Chennai is the best (read - which college collects reasonable capitation, well within my budget, yet having a decent name). I must admit, I was taken aback. I ask him - "Uncle, are you sure your daughter wants to take up engineering? If not, don't force it on her". Sadly, he didn't seem to hear that. His only concern was the college. Lost, I gave him a bunch of names, cursing myself in the process.

And then comes the geek in the family, who topped IIT (damn you man). Comparisons ensue, fights crop up, parents blame children for not studying well - blah blah blah ! Gimme a break, seriously !

Not every child can become an engineer. It is high time parents and the society-at-large get this straight. I sincerely hope they do.

Hoping for a change !! (And will continue to hope)

PS : Saw a post on the office BB, where an 'agent' gets students admitted to top colleges across the state, at 50% of the expected capitation fee. I sincerely hope I come across this guy so that I can strangle him to death

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Prashanth. Parents forcing their kids into Engineering has become a sickening trend. There are many wannabe journos, musicians, dancers, painters, film-makers in our society, whose talents don't come to the fore, because they are forced to choose Engineering.

    Pursuing our passion, without succumbing to the "money" factor will only make us truly happy.

    And a piece of suggestion if I can make: You are an engineer, but if you believe in the deepest of your hearts that you want to become a journo, then don't hesitate. You can still pursue a PG degree in Journalism and realize your dreams! It's never too late! My best wishes!:)

    Keep blogging!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true sowmya. Thanks for the support. I hope I do take it up someday. Probably not in the near future as some priorities have changed

      Delete